Grand Hotel Struer is situated in the middle of Struer, which is a genuine Limfjord town and it is also a railway town. In the beginning a little harbour and a small trading centre were located here, but when the railway from Langå via Viborg and Skive got its terminal station in Struer in 1865, the development really started. As a matter of fact Struer became the largest railway junction in Denmark in the sense that there was no other town in Denmark in which such a large part of the population earned their living from the railways. The Danish State Railways gathered a large part of its Jutland administration in Struer, and the trains from Randers, Århus, Vejle, Esbjerg and the Thy railway ended here. The huge roundhouses in Struer could contain 31 large steam locomotives.
In 1895 Consul Schou thought that the time was ripe for a proper hotel, and it was he who built the hotel in Østergade, which quickly became the leading hotel in town. Originally it was named Schou s Hotel, but today the name is Grand Hotel Struer, and it has been carefully restored in a modern style.