The Marble Church
Take a walk in the past
The awe-inspiring Marble Church with the characteristic copper green dome has to be one of the most impressive churches of the city - and is definitely home to one of the best views in town.
The church lies beautifully in line with Amalienborg castle and The Opera in the middle of the elegant area of Frederiksstaden. In fact the official name of the church is Frederik's Church.
The Marble Church has an interesting story. Presided by King Frederik V the foundation stone was laid in 1749 as part of a grand plan of making a new city district called Frederiksstaden.
A capsized project
The architect Nicolai Eigtved died in 1754 and the French architect Jardin continued the building after a revised drawing.
The work now proceeded at snail's pace and owing to a squeeze in the funding the completion of the building was postponed several times.
The building was not resumed until late 1800's for the church to be finally inaugurated in 1894.
Today the church seeks to be a modern city church and thus the church room is open to the public every day.
It is extremely popular to be married in the beautiful church, so hopeful couples practically line up to walk down the aisle. You will hear wedding bells chime on Fridays and Saturdays.
There is a magnificent view from the dome, which can be visited at 1 pm every day during the summer months and the same hours in the weekends of the rest of the year.
Wonderful Copenhagen firstname.lastname@example.org