Køge Church - Sct. Nicolai
Take a walk in the past
Køge Church – Sct. Nicolai
Market town church – dedicated to St. Nicolas, patron saint of seamen. The church has seating for more than 700 persons and has about 36,000 visitors per year.
The oldest preserved part of the church is the tower, which dates back to 1324. The beautiful altarpiece from 1652 is a work by Lorenz Jørgensen. The impressive pulpit was created by wood carver Hans Holst in 1624. The material is oak wood, the style is Late Renaissance with details in auricular style. The church also holds a large number of impressive and interesting epitaphs from the period 1584 to 1678. Køge Church has a principal organ (1968) and a choir organ (1999) – both built by Marcussen & Søn. Ths South Chapel (also called Our Lady's Chapel) today serves as museum with a church history collection definitely worth a visit.
On a visit to Køge Church, it is possible to light a candle in the light globe and leave a small amount in the church box (used entirely for parish work). There is morning service every Sunday at 10am – the full calendar is available by clicking this link: http://koegekirke.dk/kalender/alle-aktiviteter).
During school summer holidays, the tower is accessible against a fee.