Grønnegade and Nygade
Take a walk in the past
Towards the Square the top of Grønnegade is a narrow passage which expands towards the Fjord. The old garden wall has served as a model for other Ringkøbing walls. On the corner lies a brick-.built arbour from the end of the 17th century - a very popular Ringkøbing motif. Both the wall and the arbour are from a yard of a prosperous farm in Algade, the facade (The toy store) of which has not been changed since 1797. The garden was an unofficial recreation ground called " Marens Maw ". The small house Grønnegade 18, has a past as an illicit bar with the nickname " The little Heaven ". Grønnegade 25 on the corner of Søndergade was taken completely down and rebuilt in reconstructed form at a restoration in 1998. In the wall bricks marked " Gamel Bye 1816 " and " JC 1816 ".
Until the 1840s Nygade was a quiet by-street with small houses inhabited by humble folk, but became the leading shopping street, when the new highway from Holstebro was led through here to the Square. Pedestrian street since 1973.
Destination Vesterhavet, Hvide Sande email@example.com