Brobyværk Kro is situated where the old highway crosses the river Odense Å, approximately halfway between Odense, Faaborg and Assens. The village is actually named after a works, because exactly here, in connection with the manor Brobygård, Denmark s first arms factory was founded in 1648, and the waterpower in the river was used to run a hammer mill. It is known that Brobyværk made a sword for King Frederik the 3rd and that his name and device At sejre eller dø (To win or die) were engraved on the sword. The founding of the works has probably caused a lot of traffic and, therefore, Brobyværk Kro can trace its history back to 1645, that is to say approximately at the same time as the founding of the arms factory. Some hundred years later, in 1732, the inn was royally licensed.
In other words, it is a several centuries-old tradition that the inn provides food and a good bed for its guests. Naturally it has been renovated over the years so that today it has all the facilities needed by modern travellers. However, the spirit and the cosiness still prevail, and the cuisine has a good reputation. The good inn food is accompanied by a large selection of delicious wines from the extensive wine cellar of the inn and by beer from the local brewery.