Take a walk in the past
The altarpiece and pulpit were destroyed by Bavarian soldiers half a century later, but a part of the pulpit was later reused as a hymn board.
The choir and nave were constructed around the year 1200 in granite blocks. The porch in the south and the roof turret date back to 1886. Both the south and north portals have been preserved, although the northern one is bricked up. The tympanum decorations are particularly noteworthy, featuring two opposing animals inside a double arcade. In the north, two lions are depicted, while in the south, there is a griffin and a lion.
On the vault of the nave, there is a painted decoration from around the year 1500, likely representing the arms of Christ and the arms of Aarhus Bishop Niels Clausen. A newer altarpiece was installed in 1980. Above the altar, there is an asymmetric gilded bronze plaque with reliefs on both sides. On the north wall of the nave, a chancel arch crucifix from 1400-25 is suspended. There is also a Romanesque lion font with a brass basin.
VisitAarhus – Danmarkssmukkeste email@example.com
- Stilling Church
- Gl. Kirkevej 7